This project is read-only.

TFS migration headaches - anybody tried OnePulse?

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM
Edited Aug 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM

It seems to me that TFS migration requires expertise in Windows, SQL server, IIS, SharePoint and lastly TFS administration itself. 

TFS is easy to install but easy to screw up unless one carefully reads the multitude of branching installation instructions.

Ditto for doing a TFS inter-server migration and pray to your diety of choice that you aren't involved in a TFS disaster recovery situation.....

The initial installation planning needs to be done carefully lest difficult to resolve problems crop up later when the server is in production use.

I have found that it is an enormously complex task to migrate TFS between server, let alone to perform a disaster recovery under pressure from developers waiting to re-gain access to their work items and source code (not to mention company management).

There is a tool named OnePulse whose developer claims that their TFS "Data Management" tool can perform inter-server migrations (along with a whole host of other functions) easily.

It sounds like it's worth checking out. and the developer is willing to offer good discounts but I'd like to hear some experiences and opinions here before forking over $$$ for it.

While it's not free (and the developer informs me that the 30 day single server demo version *cannot* do inter-server migrations, despite there being a "Migrate" button) but for the price he charges the time and grief/headache saved could be well worth it.

If anybody has bought the "multi-server" version of OnePulse and tried it out, please post your TFS inter-server migration experiences here.

(I'm in no way affiliated with the publishers of the OnePulse product - just a TFS administrator who is a prospective purchaser)

Anthony Maw, B.Sc., MCSE, Vancouver, Canada

tel: +1 604 318 9994

anthonymaw.com